Following the trail of the Templars, a discovery is made on the Shroud of Turin
In the region of Plomodiern (South Finistere, France), near a Templar chapel called « Sainte-Marie du Menez-Hom », a very strange wayside cross is to be found in a field named in Breton (dialect spoken by inhabitants of Brittany): « Croas Rhu » which means « Red-Cross Field ». According to legend, this cross was erected on the site of a treasure buried by the Templars before the annihilation of their Order between 1307 and 1314, during the reign of Philippe Le Bel.
|This Templar cross is mentioned in the French book « Les Sites Templiers
de France » (The Templar Sites of France) published in 1997 by « Editions
Ouest-France ». Following this trail, François Gazay discovered, in September
2001, a Templar Mandylion on this cross located in the Menez-Hom region.
This strange monument is difficult to find. It is hidden in a thickly forested area, situated in an inconspicuous field near an unremarkable road leading to the « Sainte Marie du Menez-Hom » chapel. The location of the cross would have been untraceable for François Gazay without the valuable help of two inhabitants of Plomodiern, members of the association working for the renovation of the « Sainte Marie du Menez-Hom » chapel.
What is the link between Brittany and the Shroud
of Turin ?
Before its arrival in Italy on 14 September 1578, the « Mandylion » had fantastic adventures. Throughout part of those adventures, as explained in François Gazay's Turin Shroud CD-ROM, the Templars possessed the Shroud and secretly worshipped it as it traveled through Greece, Cyprus, Acre and France.
During the famous and terrible trial of Philippe Le Bel against the Temple Order, several Templars confessed they adored a mysterious and bearded « head » during their secret ceremony of initiation. This fact is written in the minutes of this trial stored in the Secret Records of the Vatican and analyzed in the French book « l'Assassinat programmé des Templiers » written by Jacques Rolland and published in 2000 by « Editions de La Table d'Emeraude ».
|This mysterious head venerated by the Templars is probably the Mandylion.
During its secret journey with the Templars, the Mandylion (which was not yet called
« the Shroud of Turin ») was folded 8 times over and only
the « head » was displayed in the center of a strange landscaped frame
about 100 cm long by 50 cm high, that is to say a 2:1 dimensional ratio.
In fact, the unfolded Mandylion is a very large piece of linen measuring 4 x 1 meters revealing the inexplicable frontal and dorsal imprints of the body of a man.
On the other side of the wayside cross at « Red-Cross Field », François Gazay was surprised to see a sculpted and landscaped stone frame showcasing a mysterious head. The dimensional ratio between height and width was identical to the frame of the Mandylion when it was folded (2:1 ratio).
|The opposite figure shows this mysterious head with its strange landscaped frame.
How old is the Templar Mandylion
According to the Brittany Website « Inet-Bretagne », the chapel enclosure dates back to 1544, the inside of the chapel is dated 1570, and the construction of the chapel tower started in 1663.
The Brittany Guidebook published by Michelin (1990 edition) does not mention the date of construction of the chapel, however the monumental semi-circular porch of the chapel enclosure is dated 1739.
So, what is the construction date of the Templar Mandylion discovered in Red-Cross Field ? As always, when one becomes interested in the Turin Shroud and its history with the Templars, one is plunged into an enigmatic universe… We shall try to find this date by examining the Templar cross closely.
This cross is quite different from the others. When you walk around it, you can see the Templar Mandylion in its strange landscaped frame. The 2:1 ratio between width and height of its frame is identical to the dimensional ratio of the Mandylion frame when it was folded into 8 layers. As written by Ian Wilson in his book « The Shroud of Turin » published in 1978, this landscaped portrayal contrasts with the usual artistic convention of that time period, consisting in painting a portrait in a vertical frame and a landscape in a horizontal frame.
Why did the sculptor of this Templar cross feel the need to show this head in a large horizontal frame exhibiting empty space on the left and right ? It's very probable that the sculptor was a Templar monk who had seen the « head » with his own eyes during a secret templar ceremony of initiation and that the sculpture reflected his vision.
|The suggestive name « Chamber of Red Monks », given
to the unusual sacristy (see opposite photo) of Sainte Marie du Menez-Hom,
suggests that some centuries ago this site was occupied by
Templar Monks of the "Red Cross", identified by a red cross embroidered onto the front of
Is it a Templar site older than the present chapel
« Sainte Marie du Menez-Hom » ?
Other clues, described in the CD-ROM « The Mandylion, a 2000-year-old enigma » reinforce the idea that the « head » of Red-Cross Field is really a stone-sculpted portrayal of the Mandylion probably made in the beginning of the 14th century A.D., when the Temple Order was persecuted and then dissolved by the French King Philippe Le Bel and Pope Clement V.
© COPYRIGHT 5JL4372 CIRAC ALL RIGHTS RESERVED